Homestead Diary Week Ending May 6thPosted: May 7, 2016
I haven’t kept very good track of everything done this week. Saturday was International Tabletop Day so we spent most of the day playing board games. Sunday Alpha and Beta made their First Communion. Tuesday I spent all day shopping for a second car (we found one). Late in the day Tuesday and most of Wednesday everyone besides me in the house was down with a stomach bug.
Most of what I’ve been doing is tending seedlings. Tomatoes, lettuce, kale, zucchini, cucumbers, cosmos, yarrow, chives, basil. I’m probably forgetting something. My tomatoes look only so-so this year, not sure why, but everything else seems good.
Monday we got out to Homestead Buddy’s place. I planted Waltham Butternut and Sweet Meat – Oregon Homestead in the massive hay pile I’ve shared about in a previous post. I held back enough seed of both that I can completely reseed in two weeks if there’s a frost or poor germination. I also planted peas, cucumber, some broccoli starts I’d saved, a bit of zucchini, and a small row of beans.
I did the best I could in getting some of the perennial weeds out of beds we’d prepared already, especially crabgrass and burdock.
The tarps we’d put down to smother the very grassy area hadn’t done much, as they were more transparent than we’d thought, and there wasn’t a lot of sun to insolate the soil with. It’s not the most regenerative practice, but we elected to spade the grass under and then retarp with thicker tarps. We’ll roll back the tarps as we plant new sections.
A few more pictures from my homestead on Tuesday:
Thursday the kids helped me plant some green beans and zucchini. These should bear right around when we get back from our trip Baltimore at the end of June. I’ve got a few more beds I will plant this coming week then I’ll save the rest for succession plantings. I also got the rest of the soaker hoses laid out. My plan was originally based on a mixture of 75, 50, and 25 foot hoses but Lee Valley was selling very high quality (double wall thickness) soakers in 50 foot lengths so I made the best of the layout. I made irrigation staples out of bulk 9 gauge wire. Rain has been consistent enough that I haven’t tested any of them out yet.
Friday it got up into the 80s for only the second time this year. I was beat after working in the garden most of the afternoon so I didn’t get to finish writing the post or taking any more pictures. I pulled the mulch off of the off-site garden I lost, reseeded it to grass, and carefully spread mulch over most of the beds that I’d seeded before we had the wood chips. Couple more to go still. The kids helped a lot with spreading it though it is awkward having three people fit around a wheelbarrow in my narrow paths.
I took these pictures on Saturday morning and they will give you an idea of how this week closed out. I think I will go back to using the dSLR for pictures next week, just reducing the megapixels on the camera side. (The only reason I haven’t been using the SLR is because of the labor involved in optimizing the file size for my storage allowance on WordPress.) The phone is convenient but the camera isn’t the best since the lens cover has cracks in it.