2015 goals: Q3 check inPosted: September 25, 2015
Just a brief check in on my goals and seeing how they’re going. I neglected to update this at the end of Q2 but they’ve been on my mind lately, so I figure this is a sub-conscious sign I should check-in with the end of Q3 approaching. The original post is here.
- Quit my job. –>accomplished!
- Eat healthier AND more seasonally. –>Doing well so far. Sometimes my “carb loading” goes a bit crazy and I get in a funk, but between the garden, CSA, and the excellent farmer’s markets here it’s pretty damn hard not to eat well. The locavorism challenge I’ve started should help keep up the momentum even into the lean months.
- Do more science and history in homeschooling. –> We’ve made some progress here.
- Increase home food production.
Stretch goal: acquire chickens.–>I plan on doing a garden post-mortem once the first killing frost hits, as I’m still harvest pounds of tomatoes, some zucchini and broccoli, and have a fair number of live winter squash vines yet. As of this writing we’ve offset more than $600 of our food costs, and much of the food has been of a quality that you literally can’t buy – at any price.
- Increase muscle mass. –> Touching my own body feels strange. I’ve never had this much muscle mass before. My body-fat could still drop appreciably but I’ve really enjoyed the progress so far.
- Bike an unsupported solo century (100 miles) –> Over our summer vacation to Baltimore, I took a day trip and biked 80 miles RT, nearly all of it on gravel. I’m told this is as hard as 100+ on pavement. So, I (sort of) accomplished it. To be honest? It was miserable after about mile 50. I think I have a bike fit issue, as my arms/back fatigue and get sore long before my “motor” conks.
- Reduce waste and overall footprint. –>going pretty well, though I’ve definitely relaxed my efforts.
- Take at least one ‘fun’ vacation (e.g. not to visit family or friends). –> Did this and wrote about it here.
- Learn how to car camp. Stretch goal: do an overnight backpacking or bike touring trip. –>See above. Backpacking and bike touring will have to wait.
- Keep writing fiction regularly. Add one more character serial. Stretch goal: get to a point with Einar’s story (or character #2) that I can revise it and package it as a polished e-book. –>Oh dear, this goal has failed miserably.
- Buy no new clothes in 2015. –>On target. My only purchase has been (badly needed) shoes.
- Learn the basics of homebrewing beer and/or hard cider/fruit based fizzy adult beverages. –>Nope. Maybe a winter project but I’ll probably be using my personal/hobby $ for other things. I’ve toyed with picking up cider from the orchard to brew, but to be honest? The hard ciders I’ve tried at parties have not been particularly enjoyable (too sweet).