Tart Cherry Zucchini BreadPosted: September 14, 2015
If it were up to the other four members of the family, I’d never make any zucchini bread other than chocolate chip. It’s delicious, sweet, and decadent – but a little too much like dessert for my personal taste. Every so often I’ll experiment with variations and 2015’s series of experiments has been using tart cherries. It took a couple iterations but I think I’ve nailed it. It’s not health food but it hits the spot for me with a nice blend of sweet and tart.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup neutral flavored oil or melted butter
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 2 tsp dry lemon peel. If using fresh zest, that’s about one lemon’s worth equivalent.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups shredded zucchini (or other summer squash)
- 2 cups pitted and chopped tart cherries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Whisk wet ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to bowl and whisk until just combined.
- Fold in the remaining ingredients with a spatula.
- Scoop evenly into two greased loaf pans or one greased 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan.
- Test for doneness by inserting a skewer (should come out clean) after 1 hour, though it often takes up to 1:20.
- If using loaf pans, allow to cool on a rack for 10 minutes before flipping the loaves out.