Master Recipes: simple vanilla ice creamPosted: June 27, 2014
If you have an ice cream maker (I have an older version of this Cuisinart machine), the most delicious ice cream you’ve ever tasted is 20 minutes away. This is one of the simplest possible recipes to make. I’ve gotten in the habit of putting the freezer bowl back in the freezer immediately after washing it. That way ice cream is always a short time away.
Yield: a little over 2 pints once frozen
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk, preferably whole
- 1/2 cup sugar, or to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla, or to taste
- Mix ingredients together in a measuring cup or bowl. Taste.
- Once satisfied, pour into the ice cream maker freezer bowl. Check consistency after 15-20 minutes.
- Enjoy now or freeze in a frost-proof airtight container (allow some headroom for additional expansion).
The texture once hard-frozen will be a little different than store-bought ice cream, sometimes a little chunkier, but I really like the simplicity of ingredients (no additives!) and lower sugar content. You can go much lower on sugar if desired, as the sugar is less important to the taste and texture than the high fat content.
I enjoyed what I couldn’t pack into two pint Mason jars with fresh strawberries: